In this episode of Out From Under, I talk to Melbourne-based experimental artist Ela Stiles.
Taking a radical detour from her early work with Sydney bands Songs and Bushwalking, Ela’s remarkable debut self-titled album mixed acappella, drone and tape loops, and her follow-up, Molten Metal, added dark synths, found sounds and drum machines into the mix. Running in parallel to her experimental approach to sound, her use of bare vocals and layered harmonies also highlights her deft expertise as a songwriter.
Throughout the episode, we feature a selection of tracks from Ela’s back catalogue as well as exclusive previews of music from two upcoming albums.
Originally broadcast on Resonance Extra, 2nd June 2019.
Out From Under is a weekly radio program and podcast, diving deep beneath the surface of the Australian music scene, celebrating experimental and eclectic music from the upside down. New episodes air every Sunday 6pm AEST on Resonance Extra. extra.resonance.fm
Podcasts are published the day after transmission – listen and subscribe on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts.
- Ela Stiles – Untitled Drone
- Anne Briggs – Let No Man Steal Your Thyme (Extract)
- Ela Stiles – The Murder of Maria Marten
- Ela Stiles – Chime Child
- Ela Stiles – Drone Transitions
- Ela Stiles – Hit Hard
- Ela Stiles – Running Away (Unreleased)
- Ela Stiles & Jensen Tjhung – Golden Scalpel
- Ela Stiles – Kumbh Mela (Harmonium Version) (Unreleased)
- Ela Stiles – Black Metal