In Episode 9 of Freak Wave we visit Uganda, Kenya, Italy, Russia, Spain, China, Taiwan, Indonesia and Brazil for an hour-long hit of mutant music from outside the margins.
In this episode, a double hit of outsider club music from Uganda from the Hakuna Kulala label; there’s a new album full of adventurous electronics from China’s 33emybw; we get on an 8-bit chiptune tip with Spanish duo SOSUN.dance and dig into fourth world vibes with Zatua from Indonesia. Plus, there’s cosmic psych from Gnoomes out of Russia; some peculiar behaviour from Taiwanese artist Sabiwa on her new record; a new coldwave supergroup from Italy via San Francisco; and a leftfield celebration of Afro Brazilian culture courtesy of Ziminino.
Listen to Freak Wave 009:
To make sure you catch every episode of Freak Wave, subscribe now at Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
- Otim Alpha (Uganda) – Tongwen feat. Leo PaLayeng (UMOJA Production) from Tong Weno (Hakuna Kulala)
- MC Yallah & Debmaster (France / Uganda) – Nasonga – from Kubali (Hakuna Kulala)
- Nuovo Testamento (Italy / U.S.) – Cascade – from Exposure – EP (Avant! Records)
- Gnoomes (Russia) – Progulka – from Mu! (Rocket Recordings)
- SOSUN.dance (Spain) – Makinetis Love (Santa Tecla Records)
- 33emybw (China) – Arthropods Continent (feat. Li Jianhong) – from Arthropods (SVBKVLT)
- Sabiwa (Taiwan) – There is nothing real – from DaBa (Chinabot)
- Zatua (Indonesia) – Camel Express (Alatas Version) – from Sin Existencia (Second Circle)
- Ziminino (Brazil) – Lágrima – from Ziminino (INTL BLK)
Episode Image: 33emybw – Arthropods