To celebrate the first anniversary of the Fat Planet radio show on FBi 94.5FM, I’ve pulled together some of my favourite free downloads from the last year and compiled them into this mixtape.
Underneath the track listing, there’s a quote taken from the blog. I still regularly return to the closer – the Sixtoo track featuring Damo Suzuki – a sensational piece of both respectful and revisionist kosmiche rock from hip hop boy Vaughn Squires.
Burn a little silver disc and file it under ‘f’ for fat.
DOWNLOAD: FAT PLANET – YEAR ONE MIXTAPE
1. NO NAME NO FAME buena vista fight club [CROATIA] “some great downbeat latin breaks straight out of croatia … no.1 for ten weeks in croatian radio 101’s independent chart”
2. WAYNE & WAX a it dat (dj c it dat) [US: MASSACHUSETS] “full of humour … a smart north american take on the contemporary jamaican sound”
3. CUT COPY going nowhere zipped [AUSTRALIA] “straight-up new wave, direct from the 80s, with a side-swerve to take in some daft punk funk”
4. THINK TWICE under the bombs [FRANCE] “awesome semi-spoken word vs punk funk track”
5. NEUTRINO syupaman [JAPAN] “great downtempo hip-hop … released on mush – fast becoming the leader in such sounds”
6. THE ASTROGLIDES the man with the golden reverb [ISRAEL] “damn fine surf tunes that hark back to a golden era”
7. MC VANESINHA dance de peteca [BRAZIL] “brazilian hip-hop … sourced from independent sellers – it’s music from garages, apparently”
8. 2/5 BZ bugün eve içine kus geldi zipped [TURKEY]
9. LARS HORNTVETH ticks [NORWAY] “defies regular description, although if my life depended on it i’d go for someone between free jazz, downbeat breaks and electronica”
10. ERIK LEVANDER bermond (bauri remix) [SWEDEN] “echoing acoustic loops and a hint of far-off vocals are underlaid with a soft, crunchy rhythm track that is barely there”
11. JUANA MOLINA quien? [ARGENTINA] “a more balanced approach between vocal, acoustic guitar and electro atmospherics … reconcile the music with the fact that juana is also a comedian with one of the most popular TV comedy’s show in the spanish speaking world”
12. OUMOU SANGARE nebife [MALI] “without doubt my favourite african artist, simply because you’re unlikely to find a voice quite like this”
13. ROBERT LIPPOCK i can tell [GERMANY] “always a freakin’ relief to find something that stands heads and shoulders above everything else … a stunning piece of folktronica”
14. COCOROSIE by your side [US: NEW YORK] “traces of southern blues, jazz, downbeat hip-hop – and all the more remarkable considering this was recorded in paris”
15. JAB MICA OCH EL caca biohjelm [DENMARK] “cut-up alt.folk string together with some distorted breaks – for lovers of four tet, look no further”
16. SIXTOO feat DAMO SUZUKI storm clouds & silver linings [CANADA] “features damo suzuki on vocals, a founding member of krautrock legends, can … could have easily been taken from an early can recording session”