Born in Scotland and resident in Sydney, I’ve spent the last two decades hunting for music that defies convention and definition, turning out a slew of record labels, radio programs, zines, gigs, podcasts, blogs and more. My work has been covered in articles by The Guardian, Time Out and The Brag, who called me “one of Australia’s most important champions of innovative music”.
I’ve worked as a broadcaster for the last fifteen years, presenting podcasts and programs on Double J (ABC), Sydney’s FBi Radio andFBi Click, and UK station Resonance FM.
My curatorial projects range from the internationally renowned New Weird Australia initiative and my record label Provenance, to guest curator roles at a number of events and festivals.
- Out From Under (2016-Present, Resonance Extra / Podcast)
– weekly radio program and podcast, celebrating experimental and eclectic Australian music
- Freak Wave (2019, Podcast)
– new music podcast featuring underground and experimental music from around the world
- Fat Planet (2017-Present, ABC Double J)
– weekly music program of alternative global music in 2017 & 2018; continues as a segment on Double J Arvos in 2019
- Repercussions (2014, FBI Click)
– 22-episode series investigating connections in electronic music, past, present and future
- New Weird Australia (2009-2012, FBI Radio)
– radio program accompaniment to the national music initiative. Won National Community Broadcasting Award for ‘Excellence In Music Programming’ in 2010. (Podcast edits of 30+ programs archived here).
- Slang Tang (2009, Podcast)
– original podcast of new global music and interviews
- Disorient (2008-2009, FBi Radio)
– weekly underground music program
- The Prototype (2007, Community Radio Network)
– new electronic music, co-presented with Dan Zilber
- Fat Planet (2003-2008, FBi Radio)
– alternative global music program and accompanying blog. The latter was named ‘Best Blog For World Music’ in The Guardian newspaper in 2007.
- Provenance Founder & Curator (2016 – Present)
– an Australian-based record label with a roster of leftfield, experimental and outsider artists.
- Pretty Gritty Guest Curator (2016)
- Wood & Wire Curator (2012-2015)
– a digital-only record label with an ambit to showcase experimentation in Australian music across all genres. Over three years, Wood And Wire released 37 albums and EPs.
- Vagrant Producer (2012)
– a travelling gig series – a pop-up club-night and open-source platform for eclectic and experimental Australian music. 30 artists at eight events in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Newcastle, Perth & Adelaide. Funded via program funding from the Australia Council For The Arts.
- Cuttings Editor (2012-2014)
– independent Australian journal of new writing, published exclusively for tablet
- Output Device Co-Curator (2012)
– curated video blog featuring Australian underground music
- New Weird Australia presents Axxonn Producer (2011)
– a national series of live events presented by New Weird Australia headlined by Brisbane’s Axxonn.
- New Editions Curator (2010-2012)
– ten-artist series of digital / CD releases; an offshoot label from New Weird Australia offering a parallel focus on Australian albums and EPs
- Refraction Guest Programmer (2010)
- Unpopular Music Producer (2009-2011, Sydney)
– a three-year series of annual live events in underground spaces across Sydney
- This Is Not Art Sound Summit Guest Curator (2009)
- New Weird Australia Director & Curator (2009-2015)
– an initiative designed to promote and support new eclectic and experimental Australian music through a variety of unique projects. New Weird Australia amassed over 400,000 album & EP downloads in five years, distributed through its own online channels and via its long-standing association with WFMU’s Free Music Archive. Projects included a 23-volume compilation series, the acclaimed netlabel Wood & Wire, the ‘New Editions’ series of individual artist releases, a long-running radio show on Sydney’s FBi and a nationwide series of live shows (including collaborations with Sydney Fringe Festival, Red Rattler and FBi Radio)
- Discontent Editor & Writer(2008-2012)
– alternative music blog and home to a unique mixtape series, featuring my own curations and those from artists such as Filastine and Pink Priest.
- Fat Planet Blog Editor & Writer (2003-2008)
– a music blog to accompany the FBi radio show of the same name. Over five years, the blog became widely read and recognised overseas as a source of news and reviews on ‘alternative world music’. In 2008, both The Guardian and news.com.au named Fat Planet ‘Best Blog For World Music‘.
Photo by Ingvar Kenne for The Guardian