Slang Tang Episode 6 starts with a double-shot of ’skwee’ – the growing Scandanvian genre that blends bleep-tronica, twitch hip hop, r&b and funk – represented here by two Swedes, Rigas Den Andre and Beem. Australian-Sri Lankan MC and prolific live performer Pataphysics follows with a track from his debut album release, performed in Singhalese, which runs into a cut from Nigeria’s Afrikan Boy – following up his appearance on M.I.A.’s ‘Kala’ album with his debut mixtape, ‘Can Of Whoop Ass’. Heatwave collaborator Rubi Dan then freestyles over the classic dubstep crossover ‘Night’ from Benga and Coki, drawing us into two tracks of digital cumbia – the first from Argentinean Chancha Via Circuito’s debut album “Rodante”, the second from The Cumbia Cosmonauts, a group of Australians proving the point that cumbia knows no borders. We close with a new remix of an early Eighties post-punk gem from Brazilian band, Agentss, fresh from the Man Recordings stable.
– RIGAS DEN ANDRE – Crush Kill Destroy [Sweden] | Buy
– BEEM – Don’t Bogart That Can, Man [Sweden] | Download
– PATAPHYSICS – Komatha Machang [Sri Lanka / Australia] | Buy
– AFRICAN BOY VS DONAEO – African Warrior (Remix) [Nigeria] | Stream
– RUBI DAN, BENGA & COKI – It’s On Tonight (The Heatwave Refix) [Barbados / England] | Download
– CHANCHA VIA CIRCUITO – Bosques Vía Temperley (with Kumbha Kethu) [Argentina] | Buy
– THE CUMBIA COSMONAUTS – Cumbianauts Incoming [Australia] – AGENTSS – Agentss (NoMoHeroes Mix) [Brazil] | Download
Slang Tang is produced & presented by Stu Buchanan.
Artwork on this post by Beem.